Thursday, April 29, 2010

Home Is Where a Mother’s Heart Is

At a time when real estate professionals, economists, actuaries and accountants are busy interpreting data to determine housing trends in order to provide answers for homeowners and buyers, there are some folks whose focus is far from the maddening crowd. One such homeowner has captured this author’s heart and on this Mother’s Day, I share her with all readers.

“Irene” has been married to her devoted husband for several decades and their grown children live nearby on the North Shore. As is becoming more common among families, Irene, her husband, and married daughter’s family have decided to sell both of their homes and purchase a larger home together. Toward that end, I have come to know this lovely family.

When we all first met in our conference room, Irene, who is a little bit of a lady and cute as a button, sat quietly while conversation went on around her. She nodded and smiled several times as her family discussion led to searching for homes in several towns other than the one she had lived in for so many years. Every so often I saw her look down at her folded hands, then put a smile back on her face, look up and continue to nod.

After a few more moments, I asked Irene if she had any questions or towns she might like to add to the list of possibilities. She hesitated before saying “I really love my church. I will miss my church and my friends. I also love my pharmacy. They’ve been filling my prescriptions for years and years.” The moment of silence that followed was deafening and was broken by family who very lovingly assured Irene that they would drive her to her church or pharmacy whenever she needed no matter where they decided to move.

Irene had no desire whatsoever to leave her home that is clearly the center of her universe as much as she is the center of her family’s universe. As time goes by, change becomes more challenging for most of us and moving from one home to another can be very difficult. Irene exemplifies all those precious souls who sacrifice so much for the happiness of those they love. She knows that her children are very excited about the new adventure of exploring large homes with new sparkling kitchens. She is aware of how much work it is for her husband to maintain the upkeep of their present home and she knows that the change that is inevitable is in the best interest of those she loves. Irene wants her family to be happy.

When I visited Irene and “Bill’s” home, there were photos and mementos everywhere to attest to a lifetime of love within the home. While I began to measure the living room, I watched Irene as she ran her fingers over some of the photo frames on a side table. As Bill and I discussed preparing the home for sale, I noticed Irene staring out toward their lovely screen room off the kitchen. Once outside, Irene proudly pointed out the landscaping and BBQ area where “we have had so much fun.”

As the days went by, we began looking at properties and I watched “something” come over Irene. It is the same “something” that holds families together. It is the pure generosity of heart and selfless behavior of a wonderful Mother who will pack up many memories and discard many others for lack of space as the process of moving begins. Without meaning one single word, Irene announced to me that she was “really looking forward to this new adventure.”

True sacrifice is that which is made by one who does so while smiling wider than those for whom the sacrifice is being made so as not to diminish their joy. If you are reading this article, “Irene”, know that the whole world wishes you Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment